Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Adventures in Raising Chickens


What I've learned from raising chickens:

1. Chickens are not affectionate. No matter how sweetly you talk to them or how much food you give them., they don't like to be held and they definitely don't like being cuddled.

2. Chickens do not enjoy photoshoots. One of our Rhode Island Reds wouldn't stop squawking till I put her back with her sisters. At least I had fun.

3. Chicken poop smells awful, but not as bad as cat poop.

4. I find it much easier to get up earlier in the morning when something so small depends on me.

5. I appreciate all the good farmish smells so much more now. All the poop related smells are still as gross though.





We've moved the chickadees from a cardboard box to their coop. They are already jumping around the roosts and such, so I think it's safe to say they like it.


Now to tackle the chicken run. 

No comments:

Post a Comment