Thursday, December 31, 2009

Chew Review


My most awesome husband fully supported my nerd tendencies and got me the "Chew" trade for Christmas. I had heard a lot of good things about this book and read it all in one day. Curtis says I only read the left pages, but that's another rant all together.
Written by John Layman and drawn by Rob Guillory, "Chew" tells the story of Tony Chu, a cop and a cibopath, who gets "pychic impressions of everything he eats." Meaning, he eats an orange and he can see it's story from seed to tree to who picked it. Or he could eat a hamburger and get a much more gruesome story. Tony is recruited to the FDA to use his unusual skill to help solve some heinous crimes.
I highly, highly recommend this comic. The story will keep you guessing and it's fun to see what sort of situations Tony's "gift" gets him in. It's definitely not for the faint of heart though. Solving crimes involves eating things that were not meant for human consumption, including people parts. Layman's storyline can get very dark, but there is a great humor with it that lightens it up.
The art is amazing! Guillory has a great style and frames pages beautifully. It's got a manga-ish feeling that looks like the art from "I Luv Halloween." At times, the subject matter is downright disgusting, but Guillory's art is is cartoony enough to remind you that this is just a story. Though, the cover above is just about the only cover I could find that didn't have blood on it.
So if you want something new to read and aren't easily queezy, read this!

No comments:

Post a Comment